Monday, July 25, 2011

How many more will be killed, LTA?


I had promised in an earlier post that I would lay into Raymond Lim on the matter of cycling. That was a year ago and I failed to make good on it. Then a few months ago we had a new minister and I thought I’d give the guy a chance to prove himself.

Then two things happened: the anticipated rise in public transport fares and this morning I read this.

I’ve never heard such crock in my entire life. Well, OK I have but this one certainly sits near the top of the shit pile.

From the short report I gather the chaps who transport their foreign workers on the backs of their trucks as if they were worth no more than sacks of rice, spoke with LTA and said ‘Eh, you ask us make more space ah, means we can take less people you know. Like that very hard do business lah. Already everything so expensive, profit very low lah - you know we not like SMRT can make millions every year’ and LTA capitulated and said ‘OK lah, we’ll review the law’ or something…

There is absolutely no reason to continue to risk people’s lives when options are available. And it doesn’t take a year to act on it.

I see enough dangerous practices on the roads nowadays by drivers who have poor spatial awareness and too much aggression. We don’t need to compound matters by allowing unrestrained passengers on the load bays of inherently unstable vehicles. How many more will be killed before the LTA understands this basic fact?

No comments:

Post a Comment