Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Your Turn.


I think I’ve given enough reasons why Bersih 2.0 is a cause worth supporting. As of tonight, we have almost 500 people liking our Facebook page. Which indicates at least that support for what we believe in is quite encouraging.

Now I hope that in the last sprint to the finish, we can translate some of that support into contributions to our campaign.

For those who don’t know, we have decided to work within the confines of Singapore law while trying to get a message to our High Commissioner for Malaysia. We figure we have no issue with the Singaporean authorities and, being guests in this country, have no wish to confuse the issue with a distracting side-battle.

What we want to do is this:

1. Send a nice letter to the High Commissioner, describing the Malaysia we all yearn for and seeking his representation to Putrajaya to convey our thoughts and feelings.

2. Attach a poster with this letter which contains as many portraits of Malaysians living and/or working in Singapore as possible, each one bearing a sign proclaiming their love for Malaysia.
Simple, really.

Drafts of the letter are available from our Facebook page.

Now, if you want to be a part of this - and there’s no reason not to if you like our page - then simply do this:

i. Make a sign that says ‘I (heart) Malaysia’ How the heart looks is up to you. Heck, how the entire sign looks is up to you.

ii. Snap a picture of yourself holding this sign up. If you need help, use one of the ready-made signs in the photo albums, put it on your computer/tablet screen and hold that up when you take a picture of yourself.

iii. Send it to us at BersihSingapore@gmail.com. Mark the subject header ‘I (heart) Malaysia portrait.

iv. Tell us if it’s OK to use the picture on Facebook too or just the poster.



That’s all! Couldn’t be simpler, right? Much simpler than going out and marching in KL, right? So, no excuse not to spend the 3 minutes or less which you will need to do this, right?

Thank you - I look forward to seeing your portraits beside mine and the rest of the committee’s as well as the people who have done this already.

2 comments:

  1. 4 years ago, I wrote to you sharing my frustration of explaining to friends from around the world, the beautiful yet totally unsafe country of which I called home. Back then I was in the UAE. Now that I've returned back to Malaysia, my disenchanted hopes of a better Malaysia have fallen so far off the mark of a plausible 'can make do' government that this will mar me for life.

    To deny us a chance to peacefully stand up for what we 'hope' will be a better place for all and perhaps one day revert more to our undeniably more ideal 'kampung' easygoing and welcoming nature, is burying alive once and for all, any hope of us being 1-anything! Much less 1-Malaysia.

    Today, my heart bleeds for the country I returned to and I will once again join the rest who increase the statistics of the country's brain drain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi 'When 30 crept up on me', I remember you writing to me when I went cycling through Malaysia. Thank you for checking back on my infrequent postings.

    There is something about Malaysia which continues to tear at my heart strings. Despite the miles and the years, it seems I can't let go. I do indeed have every intention of returning and it then only makes sense to invest a little in the country - not in cash terms but in the future.

    The Malaysians I've spoken to in the last few months all have wonderful passion, ideals and ideas and we are putting place some means of making a difference even though we may not be there.

    There may indeed be a brain drain, but we intend to reverse the flow - at least as far as ideas and ideals go - and contribute to our homeland in some way or other.

    We can't individually change the country, but we can make some small change which would benefit one or a few people. And if everyone did that, think of the cumulative gain... :-)

    Whatever you choose, I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete